Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Stories from a Retired Teacher

Happy Valentine's Day! I think Valentine's Day was my favorite holiday to spend with my students.  First grade was the best because the children could read their valentines by themselves for the first time. It was so much fun listening to them read their cards and laugh. When I taught kindergarten it was fun watching them read the names of their classmates.  I have been retired since 2003 and I always seem to reflect back on this day more than any other.

I am going to share two stories that come to my mind this morning. First let me say that an elementary teacher wears many hats.....mother, counselor, actress, judge, and the list could go on. I must say all the while you are doing your best to educate these children. I need to get back to my stories. The first one is about a little girl who wanted to bring me flowers and she did. I always made a big deal when a child gave me something, even if it was a picture they colored or a page torn from a magazine. I think you get the idea. That morning this child brought me some silk flowers and I went on about how pretty they were. I knew they had been outdoors for some time and had an idea where they came from. It didn't take long for this kindergartner to share where she got them and I was correct in my thinking. Did it matter? No, she just wanted to have something for her teacher.

Another time I had a little guy that never got to bring anything to school. Never had his snacks, etc. On this Valentine's Day he brought me a box of chocolate covered cherries. I love all things chocolate except chocolate covered cherries. I thanked this child and went on how wonderful it was that he thought of me. Now if it had been any other kind of chocolate I would have eaten some during the day. Later  on in the afternoon his caretaker came to school and called him to the office. He returned and got the chocolates off my desk and gave them to someone else more important. Did it matter? No, but I thought it was a good thing I had not opened them. This child did not know what was going on. All he knew is he got to give a gift to two people who made a big deal out of him. 

Thanks for letting me ramble about my memories. Have you made someone feel special today? I hope so.
  I love fresh flowers and my husband surprised me with some this morning. Fresh flowers just add something to a room.

 I made a chocolate cake this morning. Do we need it? Most definitely not, but we can enjoy some and give the rest away.
Remember I like chocolate and so does my husband!


Hoping you have a great day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing school memories - I fondly remember all my times with children. I'll miss blogging but I'll love reading your blog and others. I'll have 2 slices of that cake!